Greetings from the Journey Center!
For the past few weeks I have been sitting with and meditating on these simple and powerful words, written over 3000 years ago:
“When I awake, I am still with You.” (Psalm 139:18)
These words have helped to deepen my awareness of the presence of the Holy and my gratitude for the wonderful reality that I am never alone. I am blessed by this image as I fall asleep- the One who knows me and loves me is here with me…even though I am asleep and unaware.
This phrase also captures for me the essence of the spiritual life. So often I am “asleep and unaware” as I go through my days. My mind is elsewhere and there is so much that distracts me. The Spirit’s gentle invitation is this: “Wake up…remember…notice…live in the present moment. This is where you encounter the Holy and experience again the love, grace and healing that is here for you.”
I look out my window this morning and see that, at least here in Northern California, the world is waking up as well! There are starting to be blossoms on the fruit trees, spring flowers pushing up through the earth and slightly warmer temperatures during the day. All around us is that invitation to awaken, to remember.
This month we are pleased to once again offer you many resources for your spiritual journey and we hope that you will find something on the list below that could become for you a pathway to a place for awakening and remembering. Thank you for registering ahead of time on our website or by calling us at 707-578-2121…and know that we are grateful for the privilege of being a blessing to you.
CONTEMPLATIVE LIFE SERIES
- Meeting the Mystics: Thomas Merton: The Seeds of the True and False Self. Friday, March 15, 7:00–9:00 p.m. Thomas Merton has been called ‘the first post-modern Christian mystic’. In this workshop we will examine his central understanding of the spiritual journey as an exploration of what he called the true and the false self. Facilitator: Susan Shay Suggested donation: $20 View the Meeting the Mystics: Thomas Merton poster
- NEW!! Healing and Transformation: The Psychology of the Contemplative Journey Saturday, March 16, 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Please make a note of this time, which is accurate (it’s not correct in the newsletter). The Christian contemplative path has a rich and sophisticated understanding of psychological healing and spiritual transformation. In this workshop we’ll examine the tradition, and integrate the findings of contemporary psychology to deepen our appreciation of the Christ-centered wisdom way. Facilitator: Ruah Bull Ph.D.Cost: $30 http://www.journeycenter.org/posters/Healing&TransformationPosterSpring2013.pdf?201303062242
- An Evening of ‘Natural Reflection’ Sunday, March 17; 6:30–8pm . Julie will introduce the author and read, and we will then have time for discussion and reflecting our own responses to the passage. Facilitator: Julie Miller, Spiritual Director and naturalist. Cost: Free. http://www.journeycenter.org/posters/NaturalReflectionPosterSpring2013.pdf?201303062244
SHARING THE SACRED
- The Seder Experience Workshop and Dinner…Tuesday, March 19; 7:00 – 9:00 p.m. & Sunday, March 24; 6:00 – 9:00 p.m. Learn about and then participate in the Passover Meal, known as the Seder. This 2-session workshop consists of one evening (Thursday, March 19; 7:00 – 9:00 p.m.) viewing and discussing an educational video from a Messianic Jewish perspective that describes the history and details of the Seder. We will gather again on Sunday, March 24, 6:00 – 9:00 p.m. to participate together in a traditional Jewish Seder meal. The Jewish and Christian traditions will be integrated and honored in both Seder events. Facilitator: Sylvan Eidelman. Cost: $20 per person. http://www.journeycenter.org/posters/SederPosterSpring2013.pdf?201303062248
- NEW!! Aramaic Jesus – An Introduction to the Teachings of Jesus in His Native Language- Friday, March 22, 7:00–9:00 p.m. This workshop offers an opportunity to explore the sound and substance of some of the teachings of Jesus in Aramaic. We will experience simple, traditional practices of chant, prayer, and contemplation common to Jesus, his disciples, and the people of ancient Palestine. Using our own voice to speak and chant the words of Jesus can bring each of us into a direct and immediate experience of his healing message. Facilitator: Devi Mathieu is a singer, writer, and teacher. Suggested donation: $20 http://www.journeycenter.org/posters/AramaicJesusPosterSpring2013.pdf?201303062251
ARTS AND CREATIVITY
- There are just 10 tickets left for Andy Cater’s CD Release Concert on Saturday, March 16 (7:30 p.m.)! Join us for a wonderful evening with this local musician and songwriter, who will be sharing his original piano compositions and the stories behind them…accompanied by Gary Krohn on the violin. This beautiful candlelit contemplative concert is a fundraiser to help us celebrate the Journey Center’s fifth birthday. Call us for tickets at 707-578-2121. For details, see the event poster: View the Andy Cater concert poster
- Creativity Released Workshop Saturday, March 23, 9:00 a.m. – noon This class is for people who feel they have an artistic talent and have buried it rather than developed it and for people who simply want to have a more meaningful artistic life. We will engage in a number of activities to call out the artist and creativity in each participant. Facilitator: Kathy Cia White Cost: $25 + a $5 materials fee View the http://www.journeycenter.org/posters/Creativityreleasedspring2013.pdf?201303062251
- The Journey Center is Going to the Ashland, Oregon Shakespeare Festival! Pre-trip play readings continue this quarter…and it is not too late to join us! March 23, 5:30–9:00 p.m.- we will read “The Taming of the Shrew- Part One”. Live theatre, for many of us, is a pathway to encountering ourselves, the heart of what it means to be a human being, sacred moments and deepened compassion. Join your hosts, John & Joanna Quintrell and Dan & Lisa Beach for a wonderful group trip to Ashland’s Oregon Shakespeare Festival in June 2013. Tickets are being ordered now and the group meets monthly for fun and informative play readings and a pre-trip party. Cost: The cost for participation is $100 per person. For those who wish to participate in the play readings but not the trip may do so for a cost of $10 per evening. http://www.journeycenter.org/posters/ShakespearePosterSpring2013.pdf?201303062256
COUNSELING, HEALING AND RECOVERY
- “The Attorney is In”: Monday, March 25. A resource to help with your discernment if you have a legal question or find yourself in a legal situation. Appointments are available in half-hour increments : 5:00, 5:45 and 6:30 p.m. Meet with our favorite attorney, Roy Johnston, at the Journey Center for a no-cost 30-minute consultation. Roy is a specialist in estate planning, probate, trust administration, mortgages, real estate and business, and is conversant in other areas of law, such as family law and bankruptcy, and can give referrals to attorneys who specialize in these other areas of law. Roy loves the Journey Center and so is not charging for these consultations…he only asks that you consider making a donation of any amount to support the Center’s mission. For an appointment, contact the Journey Center at 707-578-2121. View the “The Attorney is In” Poster
Blessings to you on your journey!
The Journey Center
1601 Fourth Street,
Santa Rosa, CA 95404